Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Is potassium permanganate the right stuff to purify a water butt, or is there something better?

The water in my garden water butt is not all that clean - so how do I purify it?


I am told that potassium permanganate can be used for this purpose, but I don't know how much to add to the water butt.


And where can I buy it in the UK - chemists' shops, shops like Wilkinson's or Woolworth's, or where? I don't have a car, so it is tricky to get to garden centres.


Does potassium permanganate do any damage to plants if it gets on the leaves, or is it safe to use all over the garden?


Is there anything better than potassium permanganate to use for this purpose?


I wish all gardeners and Yahoo enthusiasts a happy weekend.

Is potassium permanganate the right stuff to purify a water butt, or is there something better?
If the water has stagnated then simply empty the water out,


and refill.


AS for cleaning your water but when empty an very small amount of bleach water and an scrubbing brush.


As for potassium permangnate don't mix it with liquid paraffin.





Hope that helps.





Good Luck.
Reply:You cannot buy the stuff anywhere, definatley not in shops.


If you do get some get a glass jar stick a couple of drips of petrol in it close the lid and whirl it round to coat the inside then put it a tiny amopunt of potassium permanganate close the lid and throw the jar......BOOM! that will pack the same power as a stick of dynamite!!!


As for the fish only put in a tiny amount!


Try e-bay I bought some there once!


No comments:

Post a Comment